Wednesday, April 29, 2009

"Hey I was just about to call you,"

claimed Scott Lewallen. He continued, "What are you doing this weekend?"
I reply without hesitation, "Nothing. Why? You coming to San Diego?"
"I was thinking about it. Just for Friday night. Is that okay?"
"It's more than okay. Come down. Just let me know," I exclaim.

So that's how my weekend starts, with this phone call around 5 or 6 pm on Friday evening. For all that don't know, Scott Lewallen is one of my best friends. I met him through Atlantis; he works for them, as do I, but not in the same capacity. He works for them full-time. Anyway he did indeed decide to come down to San Diego. Upon arrival I met him at Rite Aid, located only a block from my house, typically where we intersect paths to purchase accouterments (aka: drinking paraphernalia). We go to my palace (that's not a typo), mix a drink, play songs and finally we head out to the club. Rich's is the main gay club here in San Diego, I would say, and we wanted something a bit "off" tonight. We started walking to a bar much closer called Brass Rail, and en route, right before rounding the corner to our destination, a random person (we presume a gay man) said "Girls! Don't go there! It's lesbian night!" Now we have nothing against lesbians but this was not the evening we had intended. We quickly shuffled past the bar as if it wasn't our intention to enter in the first place. Struck down we head over to Urban Mo's, a restaurant + bar here in SD. It was DEAD. And dreadful I might add. Shot down again, there was one place left to go before Rich's--Flicks, it's neighboring competition. As we started to arrive though, Flicks too wasn't as busy as we had hoped. Let me say this too--Scott didn't leave LA till about 6pm, that means he didn't get in till 8:30 pm (because of Friday night traffic) plus we had about 3 drinks at my place; it had to have been close to midnight and these places should all be packed. Last resort: Rich's.

We enter, pay cover and order drinks. It was also not terribly busy, but still a ton of people as usual. We decided that we would make our own event and started doing runway and posing in this long section of the room that neighbors an equally long bar. I might add that we were fierce too, and I'm not saying that because we were blitzed either. The bartender said to someone "The shows that way" and nodding his head to us. Work work work work.

Straight translation: "Work" is short for "work it" i.e. "work it out, miss thang!" or, "she worked that runway."

The night ended about 2 pm, we scampered over to close-by taco shop and ordered some delicious Mexican food. There a woman said to me, "You look really familiar, where have we met?" I let her keep guessing, asking, inquiring, begging, toiling away at where we had crossed paths previously... until I put her misery to rest and showered her in pictures of me in drag. She was a tray passer at a house party I went to for the Oscar Awards and naturally I went in a gown. Naturally. It was a red carpet event after all. This is the said photo that tipped her off.

Okay--left Mexican "restaurant" went back to my place and crashed. Saturday "morning" when we woke, we turned to each other and inquired on the day ahead. We both agreed to a quick jaunt to SeaWorld. It was fantastic! We went to the Wild Arctic (saw polar bears, baluga whales), Penguin Encounter (saw, well, penguins), Shark Reef (you guessed it...) and the Shamu Show (orca whales et al). It was a fun, quick SeaWorld adventure with hopefully many more to come. Scott decided it was probably too late to drive home and asked if he could stay another night. Shaa--yes--dumb. Saturday night we didn't really do anything. We drank at my place again, played music, web cammed with his sister--half way through the webcam we selected some choice wigs from Kitty's closet and webcamed in half-drag. She thought it was hilarious (I hope). Scott had some work to do, I had some drinking to do, and in the middle of everything we decided to write songs. What? I know. We wrote songs! It was sooo fantastic.

Sunday Scott left before lunch, I did homework all day and that was that. Sunday evening John (the boyfriend) was coming home from business trips. I went and picked him up at the airport and we had a nice, little dinner at our favorite Indian restaurant. It was sooo nice having him home. That was the weekend, everybody.

Now it's Wednesday, I came down with a horrible cold and neck ache (unassociated) and have been home from work for the past two days, on pain killers and drinking more fluids than I thought possible. I've gotta get better before Friday rolls around!

END OF TRANSMISSION

2 comments:

  1. Uh you ate dinner with me misssssyyy. I didn't see that...must of had to much glitter in your eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Tran! I forgot about that on Saturday. Girl work and that little rodeo queen came to our table trying to hock her wares. I almost froze her with my glare. Shoot.

    ReplyDelete