Monday, April 13, 2009

White Party 2009

Let's first lay the foundation: White Party is a big gay event held at several locations throughout the year (Miami and Paris to name a few), but one of the most popular would be Palm Springs' White Party held every Easter weekend. My friend Scott who also works for Atlantis (the cruise company I work with part-time) wanted my help at the Atlantis booth. In turn for me working I would get a weekend pass to the White Party. Lodging would need to be sourced on my own. Well it just so happens that one of my very best friends Michael was going to be at White Party as well and offered to share his place with me--count me in. I'm there.

Saturday I worked all day and hung out with Scott and Michael and had a fabulous time. Just fabulous. We talked, exchanged stories, laughed, drank, had photo shoots, reviewed said photos, laughed again, drank more and so on. Well Saturday night was the actual, like, WHITE PARTY party. It was held at the convention center and they fill the place with lights and amazing sound equipment and some decor and lots of half naked men. Sounds awful, huh? Well besides a ton of great friends rendezvousing at the White Party (Scott, Mike, Eldon, Marky, Brad), Lady GaGa was also going to perform at the White Party. If you don't know who Lady GaGa is, slap yourself on my behalf, youtube her posthaste, and the continue reading the blog.

The room was aglow with white costumes. Light effects reflected off the bodies on the earth below, shimmering and shining like an ocean. A silken fabric hangs on the far wall, flush to a stage. It's a screen. The music stops. The fabric bursts with light--a projection is now shown. A movie. A movie of Lady GaGa. The crowd is both silenced and energized while the images flash on the draping fabric. The clip shows Lady GaGa in an interrogation setting. The room in all white. She in all black, sitting in a chair. Her hands stained with what we presume blood. A mans voice sternly inquires, "Why did you do it?" she replies confidently, "For art." The fabric drops to the floor and behind the screen is a silhouette of GaGa. She commands the stage and sings to onlookers. The performance shatters worlds.

I was expecting a quick 2 or 3 song set and the party would go on. No. Lady GaGa pulled out every song in her repertoire, even a new one not yet released, for a full hour and a half. I was blown away. There was nothing like her performance that I have ever seen, and I recommend each and everyone one of you, my blogettes, to see her should you have the chance. Following are some of the kooky, bizarre, quirky lines that she delivered between songs:

"Sometimes I feel like a blonde bitch in a bunch of bubbles, and I don't give a fuck." (meanwhile she was wearing a suit made of large plastic bubbles)

"In the year 3009, all the kids of New York City ran out of the nightclubs and killed the paparazzi" (the story continued but I don't remember it really)

"This next song is about a vibrator" (As she plays her song "Rubber Man"

"Have you ever told such a little lie, and you would do anything--even kill--to make it come true? Some people say Lady GaGa is a lie. And you know what? They are right. And every day I kill to make Lady GaGa a reality."

"I have no money... because every penny I make I spend on my show." (just after this line she rides onto the stage in a scooter covered in Denim and rhinestones)

"I swear on my denim scooter I will never betray you, my beautiful gay fans."

"All you need is music, art, and each other"


The show was a phenomenon I died, went to heaven, went to hell and came back from both with GaGa blazed into my memory. The party was fabulous, the weekend terrific, my friends even closer and a part of GaGa with me.

1 comment:

  1. She came through and more for her fans there. Normally,its 2-3 song, quick-on-quick-off, but not this time. She could send there were at lesat two bous who want to have her babies.

    ReplyDelete