Saturday, April 4, 2009

Little Italy Walking Tour

Thursday afternoon I received an email at work to see if I was interested in going (for free) on a walking tour of Little Italy. Everyone reading my blog surely knows what I do for a living (and if you don't I'd be happy to explain it to you) so you know it was a "professional development" tour of sorts, but also you will know I love a good walking tour. I'd spoken and exchanged emails with this tour operator before but have never had the pleasure of selling his tour. Well, I accepted and what a treat! John and I just got back from the tour, and it was something else. I'll keep my synopsis brief.

The guide, Anthony, is a New York American-Italian who now lives in San Diego. He had an assistant who is from Rome (like, she still calls that home but lives here for now) and the assistant helped with passing photos out to making sure the headsets worked properly. Oh the headsets! Each person had a headset that received audio from the guide via a microphone, so you could be in the back of the group and still hear what he's yacking about. I loved it. Okay so basically the tour covered San Diego history and what made Italians migrate to San Diego in the first place along with geography, culture, community, religion, commerce and, San Diego's own renaissance of sorts with the revitalization of Little Italy. Very cool. Highly recommend. So here's the kicker--he just does private tours really, only does public tours (I believe) it was every first Saturday. Let me know if you're interested and I'd be happy to give you a full download and put you in touch. If I didn't say it before--highly recommended!

Off to dinner...signing out.

No comments:

Post a Comment